Drawings, installations, scenography
MATERIALS / MEDIA
Canvas, papers, collage, found objects, oil, acrylic, mixed media
Visual artist and Scenographer (Kingdom of Bahrain)
Ali Hussain is an artist and theatrical scenographer born in Bahrain in 1987. After graduating from high school, he chose to study theater and earned a Bachelor’s Degree (with Honors) in Scenic Design from the Higher Institute of Dramatic Arts in Kuwait in 2010.
His passion for fine arts and theater inspired him to research and experiment in his works. He utilized open spaces as avenues to express the ideas and issues that he wishes to reflect upon and discuss in a different way.
Ali views installation artwork as being akin to breaking away from the confines of the theater’s stage. He replaces the actor with the spectator, who is also often considered to be a part of the work of art. It is here that the artist finds himself, stuck somewhere in the grey area between the worlds: the world of fine art and the world of theater.
Ali participated in many fine arts exhibitions and theatrical showcases in the Kingdom of Bahrain and abroad. Following his formal academic studies, he decided to focus his energy on the youth and conducted numerous workshops and events that revolve around children’s art. He won a number of awards over the course of his career in appreciation of his contributions in the fields of fine arts and theater, most recently, Ali was the recipient of the Dana prize at the 44th annual Bahrain fine arts exhibition in 2018, the most prestigious art award in Bahrain.
Art… is the most beautiful human connection between people. We can love through it. We can disagree through it. So, art is more than just being ‘something’ for pleasure and beauty…
- Bahrain Annual Fine Arts Exhibition, Bahrain, 2013-2020
- Nest Art Festival ‐ Al Riwaq Art Space, Bahrain, 2014-2017
- ‘Uni…Multi’, Second Solo Exhibition, Bahrain, 2018
- ‘Wanderers’, First Solo Exhibition, Bahrain, 2018
- Curator of ‘Syncopation’ Art Exhibition, Bahrain, 2018
- Curator of ‘Nashaz’ Art Exhibition, Bahrain, 2017
- Gulf Fine Arts Exhibition, Poland and Moldova, 2016
- Curator of ‘Parallelism’ Art Exhibition, Bahrain, 2016
- Kuwait International Art Symposium, Kuwait, 2014 & 2016
- Sikka Art Fair, Dubai, 2016 & 2017
- ‘Views’ Art Exhibition, Ritz Carlton Hotel, Bahrain, 2016
- ‘Hawamish’ Exhibition, Art Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, 2016
- ‘Traversé’ Art Exhibition, Tunisia, 2015
- ‘Shamal’ Art Exhibition, Italy, 2015
- Curator of ‘Abstract Rhythm’ Art Exhibition, Bahrain, 2015
- Assilah Cultural Season, Morocco, 2014-2017
- Workshop ‘Promoting Social Good Through the Arts’, USA, 2015
- First price ‘Aldana’ award in ‘Bahrain Annual Fine Arts Exhibition’, Kingdom of Bahrain, 2018
- First place award in ‘3rd Khalid Bin Hamad Theater Award’ for best scenography, kingdom of Bahrain, 2017
- Suad Al Sabah Award (Kuwait International Art Symposium), Kuwait, 2016
- First place award in ‘Al Sawari Theatre Festival for Youth’ for best costume and best decor, kingdom of Bahrain, 2013
2010 | Kuwait.kw | Higher Institute of Dramatic Arts | BSc. In Dramatic Arts – Theatre Design Section
Lives in Manama.bh
1987 Born in Manama.bh